If you've been looking at buying a home in Anchorage AK, then check out these useful tips on relocating. Make your move quick and efficient!
Before the move:
Clean the house. Make sure to take care of these last minute things before you leave.
• Use up things that can't be moved, such as frozen foods,
• Dispose of flammables,
• Drain all gas and oil from your mower and other motors. Gas grills, kerosene heaters, etc. must be emptied as well.
• Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator at least 24 hours before moving day.
Know your new community. Learning more about your new community makes it easier to adjust when you get to your new home. The local Chamber of Commerce is always a great place to start to learn. For information regarding Anchorage and Mat-Su go to the Anchorage Info and Mat-Su Info pages. You will find links to schools, the chamber, and many other useful links.
Keep healthy. Remember to get your medical and dental records including shot records, prescriptions, and any important medical history. These will be important to give your new doctor. Ask your current doctors if they can refer you to any great doctors in your new community.
Involve the children. If you have children, get them involved in the moving process. Have them help pick out the new house. Moving can be scary for them, so make it into an adventure. Remember to have school records transferred to the new school.
Budget. There will be some necessary expenses including travel expenses, moving company, etc. Remember to keep this in mind and plan your budget accordingly.
Tie the loose ends. Remember to cancel/transfer any services in your current community. Things to remember to take care of may include:
• Contact utility companies to disconnect, transfer or connect services. Plan on keeping current services through your move date and having new ones available prior to your move-in date.
• Return library books and pick up dry cleaning or items out for repair.
• Call your local newspaper and set a date to cancel your subscription.
• Call your insurance agent to see what changes to expect in your policies. Ask if moving is covered and arrange for insurance for your new home.
• Contact health clubs or other organizations to which you belong. Ask how you can end, sell or transfer your membership.
• Contact your bank and/or credit union to transfer or close accounts. Clear out safety deposit boxes. Pick up traveler's checks or cash for "on the road" expenses.
Your new address. When you know your new address, remember to file a change of address. Make a list of friends,
Moving truck. Reserve a moving truck at least 2-3 weeks before you move to make sure you aren't scrambling at the last minute to find one.
One last sweep. Make sure to check every room of your old home before you make your move. Always leave a note with your new address in the home to that stray mail can be sent to your new address.
After the move:
Do some paperwork. Register to vote, get a new driver's license, and new tags for your automobile.